The Press Release Headline is probably the most important component of a press release. That’s simply because it’s the first thing that people look at, read and decide from there whether to continue reading. As such, it is a definite must to capture the interest of your viewers in the headline of your press release, because if you don’t, it is unlikely your press release will ever be published.
Here are some tips to writing the headline that would have people irresistibly clicking on your press release article.
Tip #1: Report It Like a News Headline
The headline should not be more than 80 characters. Your headline has to contain a subject, an active verb and clearly states your news announcement. It should also clearly convey the recency of the news.
A simple example would be, “Man saves child from hungry alligator at Montreal Zoo yesterday afternoon”.
Tip #2: Make It Easy to Read
People read through hundreds of press release headlines a week, and have adapted their senses to filter out what they do or do not want to read. Understand that these people are choosing a lot of them and looking for something interesting as well as easy to read. Use simple words that are “to-the-point” and conveys the message across clearly and concisely.
Tip #3: Eliminate All Promotional Hype
It’s a press release, not a sales letter. If you write a headline like, “Unbelievable product that cures cancer,” it’ll be immediately filtered as trash by editors. But if you write, “Survey shows most toddlers are allergic to these five common foods,” then people aren’t as quickly to judge how ludicrous it sounds. Keep your headline believable.
Tip #4: Use “Lists”
“5 Tips For Writing Your Awesome Press Release Headline” would have definitely attracted you more than “How To Write A Press Release Headline”, wouldn’t it? Numbers show clarity and structure in your content as it lets readers know what kind of information to expect, as well as how much information they’ll be reading for their 10-minute coffee break.
Tip #5: Include Your Target Keyword
Yes, this is SEO but your press release will be distributed site-wide so it’s not something you should ever neglect. As long as you have your main keyword in the headline, you’ll be more easily found on Google.
Still unsure of what your headline should look like? Feast your eyes on these 59 examples.
Devices and Technologies
- Free Reverse Cell Phone Lookup – New Service Compares Three BEST Cell Phone Lookup Services
- Foremay© Releases World’s Smallest SSD Disk on Chip
- iBoss™ Helps Schools Safely Implement ‘Bring Your Own Device’ Practices
- iBos™ Introduces Encrypted YouTube Restriction
- iPhone Spy Software Unveils Stealth GPS Tracking
- iPorn Launches New Mobile Web Application Delivering Free Adult Videos to iPhone Users
- New Software Released To Jailbreak & Unlock Ios 4.0.2 On Iphone 3G, 3Gs And Iphone 4
- PureiPorn Announces Launch of 3G Adult Mobile Platform, Micro-Payment Engine
- Skyfire Launches Skyfire Browser 2.1 and Passes over 500,000 Users on Android in First Six Weeks
- Student-designed iPhone App increases learning rate by up to 680%
- VIP Talent Connect Links Tomorrow’s Stars with Today’s Entertainment Icons
- Wireless ICs Adding a New Layer of Features to Cardiac Rhythm Management Implants
- Christmas Gift Ideas — World’s Most Expensive Christmas Gift Idea List for 2007 from Trippon’s
- Cooking with Quinoa – Delicious and Healthy Recipes for All the Family to Enjoy Now on Amazon Kindle
- Electronic Cigarettes Break into Hollywood with Johnny Depp in ‘The Tourist’
- Is Dad Special Enough to Deserve a Father’s Day Break at The Wyck Hill House Hotel & Spa?
- Lifestyle Pets Introduces the $22,000 Ashera(TM), the World’s Largest, Rarest and Most Exotic Domestic Cat
- Like Father, Like Daughters: Rev. Run’s Daughters Vanessa and Angela Simmons Launch Pastry Footwear Line
- Sleep Tips Website Giving Away Free Pillows To College Students
- TattooFinder.com Announces Tribal Tattoos as ‘Most Popular Tattoo Designs of 2006’
- The Clutter Diet Blog is Amazon Kindle’s #1 Lifestyle Bestseller
- World’s Strongest Beers – Houston Bar Reserve 101 BrewDog Tasting March 29th
Food & Beverage
- Dan Aykroyd to Sign Crystal Head Vodka at Total Wine & More in Tukwila on October 26
- Micro Imaging Technology to Present the MIT 1000 at the International Conference for Food Safety and Quality
- eReleases Twitter Contest Awards Nine Netbooks and 66 Release Distributions, with 11 Days of Prizes Still to Go
- Job Seekers Rely on Internet Too Much
- Simon van Kempen Establishes New Social Media Consultancy Company
- World Series of Gifting: Team Edition Launched on Facebook
Health & Fitness
- FitnessFactory.com.sg Upholds Client-Centered Routines with Customized Fitness Programs
- Four African American Women Scuba Divers Make History in Truk Lagoon, Micronesia
- Fushigi Ball Poised to be Bigger than Snuggies, X-Box
- ‘Size Does Matter … and So Does Shape … When It Comes to Teeth,’ Says Cosmetic Dentist, Dr. Denise Fundora
- Tax Preparation Strategy: Take a Nap
- California Bride Demands Distinctive Fashion
- Cecilia De Bucourt Unveils Clothing Collection on www.cdbstore.com
- Into the Apparel and Handbag Arenas
- SQS demonstrates “How to Get Quality From Your Outsourcing” at QUEST Conference 2011
- The Bottom Half Group Introduces New Designer Adult Baby Diaper: “The Teddy Bambino”
- The Next Generation Continues to Make Its Mark as Vanessa and Angela Simmons Branch Out Their Pastry Footwear Brand
- Virginia Flat Fee MLS Listing FSBO Clients Save Thousands In Real Estate Commissions
- ESAB Announces Partnership with Orange County Choppers
- Even in Today’s Economy, Wise Man Finance Offers Funding for Small Businesses
- Future of Medicare Is No. 1 Worry for Seniors; Also Willing to Pay More for Coverage, Allsup Finds
- Hedge Fund Financial Model Predicts Apple Inc. (AAPL) to Fall 80% as Early as This Fall
- Jersey Shore Star Mike “The Situation” Sorrentino Signs with Serious Pimp
- LeatherUp.com 2008 Sales Explode to over $20 Million
- Martial Arts and Self Defense Enterprise Announces Warehouse Liquidation Sale Of Vitamin Inventory
- New Free E-Course Reveals How To Market Effectively At Little to No Cost
- Sandi Krakowski Offers Rare Opportunity To Attend Guy Kawasaki Interview – Limited Availability
- Spokane Real Estate Advisor Sees Interest Rate Opportunities For Washington & Idaho Home Buyers
- Spokane WA Foreclosures and Bank Owned Real Estate Inventory Creates Buying Opportunities
- A Presidential Campaign and the Average Joe Have Something in Common – Their Text Messaging Partner
- Alaskan Malamute ‘Costello’ Crowned at Fifth Annual AKC/Eukanuba National Championship
- Glass Negatives Found at Garage Sale Are The Lost Works Of Ansel Adams According to Leading Experts
- Isotech Pest Management CEO Mike Masterson Gives Lowdown on Asian Stink Bugs to NBC News Los Angeles
- New Evidence Links BP to the Controversial Elimination of Protected Wild Mustangs From Federally Mandated Land in several Western US States
- New Report Ranks Top U.S. Cities for Bedbug Infestations
- Sculpture Trails – Calling All Artists To Participate In July 2011 Cast Iron Sculpture Workshops
- Sean Combs’ Bad Boy Records Accused Of Copyright Infringement
- Steve Moak Issues Pledge: “Balance The Budget Or Come Home”
*To accompany your awesome press release headlines, why not also learn the ways to writing a better press release here?